Sunday, May 27, 2012

Dreams


Recently another urban myth was shattered for me when the liquor store I work at cut hours for the entire staff.  Business has been a little slow so I guess the boss wanted to save some on payroll expenses.  I understand that but part of the reason I got into the liquor business in the first place was because it was supposed to be recession proof.  I mean everybody wants to come home and unwind with a stiff drink right?  It takes their mind off the economy being so bad.

All that free time gave me a chance to think about where I am in life right now.  What I came up with is a question, what happened to all of my dreams?  The way I see it by now I should have had a couple of Oscar’s for best original screenplay, or at least a Hugo for best science fiction novel of the year.  What happened?

I think the answer is I quit taking chances.  At some point in the past when I was making just about enough to cover the expenses I stopped thinking about what comes next and started worrying about what happens if I lose what I have.  So a switch took place, instead of thinking about what made me happy I started thinking, how do I keep the boss happy?

Soon a routine develops; you go to work and go through the motions, just enough to keep the clock ticking till its time to go home.  At home you throw something in the microwave and crash in front of the TV till its time to go to bed.  You go to sleep, you get up, you repeat.  Pretty soon you don’t even notice that something is missing, your dreams.

I complained about how having my schedule cut meant I would lose my eligibility for health insurance.  This week I got my hours returned to normal but before I fall back into that routine I think I'll do something different, I think I'll take a chance.  It’s time to start living my dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment